By Popular Demand: The whole concert - June 22, 1963

Country Night At The Bowl – 1963 – Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, The Louvin Brothers, George Jones, Flatt & Scruggs, Faron Young, June Carter – Past Daily Pop Chronicles

By Popular Demand: The whole concert - June 22, 1963

By Popular Demand: The whole concert – June 22, 1963

Click on the link here for Audio Player – Country Night At The Hollywood Bowl – June 22, 1963 – Gordon Skene Sound Collection – Part 1

Click on the link here for Audio Player – Country Night At The Hollywood Bowl – June 22, 1963 – Gordon Skene Sound Collection – Part 2

Last week, I ran the Louvin Brothers portion of this concert, not really sure if there were enough readers out there wanting to hear the whole thing. Johnny Cash, the headliner, was not in great form. A bad case of Laryngitis prevented him from giving the full 100%. But the rest of the show fairly drips with history.

I quickly found out a lot of people wanted to hear the rest of this rare and never-before heard concert. And a case of Laryngitis wasn’t sufficient enough to not run it. Popular demand wanted to hear the whole concert.

So here it is – the whole thing. At almost four hours, it’s a slice of early 60s Country-Western Music and Los Angeles History rolled into one. Presented by radio station KFOX, which was a popular Country station in the L.A. area at the time, the hosts are the disc jockeys from the station, including the legendary Cliffie Stone, who was a fixture in the Country music scene in Southern California for many years.

From the evening of June 22, 1963 – as it happened, here is the KFOX Country Music Night at The Hollywood Bowl.

Enjoy.

Enhanced by Zemanta
Liked it? Take a second to support gordonskene on Patreon!

You may also like...

10 Responses

1. annagranfors says:

Hi, Gordon–thanks immensely for putting the whole show up. I realize I’m a *bit* late in thanking you, but this was an insane month. (I’m sure it’ll calm down now that it’s December…NOT.) What an amazing document from a period where live country music (especially sounding this good) was pretty sparse.

• gordonskene says:

As always, my pleasure Anna. I should be posting the 1967 Capitol Country Night at the Bowl in a few weeks, if not sooner. Stay tuned!

2. annagranfors says:

Oh, lord…Haggard? Owens? Glen Campbell? YES PLEASE!

3. Hello. We, the Chuck Wagon Gang appeared on this Johnny Cash program, June 22, 1963. We’ve always wondered audio was available on this show. I see where there is a link to the entire show, but don’t know if this includes the CWG. Would like to have a copy. Can’t seem to get the dowload program to install.

• gordonskene says:

Hi – glad you found it! All you need to do is click on the highlighted part right next to the words “click on the link here for Audio Player” – it will open on a separate page and then all you need to do is go to “file” on your desktop, click on it, click on the prompt that says “save file as . . .” and it will download it for you.
      Enjoy!

4. I did not find the Plainsmen portion on this video. They were advertised. Were they there?

• gordonskene says:

I’m not sure. It’s possible their portion wasn’t recorded, for whatever reason. Or there may have been a last minute cancellation. In a few cases, these Hollywood Bowl concerts aren’t complete. Usually from the concert running over and the tape running out. But from the sounds of it, this concert appears to be complete. So for now, it’s a mystery.
      Gordon

5. Peter Schofield says:

I was at this concert. I was 13 years old. My dad, Dick Schofield was the VP and General Manager of KFOX and the co-producer of the show. This is very nostalgic for me to see this. Thank you very much for keeping this part of country music alive. I have so many memories from that era. KFOX was the first commercially successful county station in Los Angeles. Being back stage at the event was something I’ll always remember. KFOX helped launch or promote many country music artist careers.