Doubtless, the name rings no bells, at first.

Pete Brown & Piblokto – Live In Paris – 1970 – Nights At The Roundtable: Mini-Concert Edition

Doubtless, the name rings no bells, at first.

Doubtless, the name rings no bells, at first.

Click on the link here for Audio Player – Pete Brown & Piblokto – Live in Paris – 1970 – RTL

A name that probably doesn’t ring any bells with many people. Pete Brown is a poet, probably best known for his collaborations with Cream (most notably Jack Bruce) and several songs made famous by that supergroup. He continued collaborating with Jack Bruce after Cream had broken up and Bruce pursued a solo career.

From there on out it gets fuzzy, particularly if you weren’t a huge fan of the slowly-evolving British Prog scene in the late 60s/early 70s. Pete Brown was next involved with a band, one of the first to be signed on the fledgling Harvest Records label; Battered Ornaments. That lasted a little over a year before Brown went on to form Piblokto, also signed to Harvest Records and had two albums to their credit (Things May Come And Things May Go But The Art School Dances Goes On Forever – 1969 – Thousands On A Raft -1970)before Piblokto dissolved and Brown went on to other pursuits and collaborations.

Since that time, Pete Brown’s work, both with Battered Ornaments and Piblokto have found a new audience, and new fans. All the albums from both bands go for silly amounts of money on the collectors market and they have been re-discovered by many who were around at the time, but (as was the case here in the States) simply overloaded with albums and groups and Pete Brown’s more subtle and intricate work got a little lost in the shuffle.

But Pete Brown certainly isn’t shedding any tears over it. He has since gone on to other, greener pastures, primarily getting involved in Film and film scores, but also still keeping a foot firmly planted in music and is still active.

But tonight it’s one of the live sessions done by Pete Brown and Piblokto for French TV in 1970. A rare one at that, since there is precious little (if any) other live examples of this band to be had.

It’s a shame many of the lesser-known, but still influential bands aren’t that well represented in a live setting. Although their albums are quite good, hearing  Pete Brown and Piblokto in a live setting gives you some indication why, even though they were considered somewhat cult at the time, were a fine and underrated band.

Another one to play loud. And give a round of thanks to those French engineers who got it down on tape.

Enhanced by Zemanta
Liked it? Take a second to support gordonskene on Patreon!

You may also like...

7 Responses

1. Michael says:

Dear Mr. Skene,

I am not commenting on this particular entry in your wonderful blog; I just discovered it, and would like to say: what a great collection of documents! Im am most interested in the classical orchestra concerts. The BSO rehearsal broadcasts are esp. fascinating, and if you have any more – please post them soon!

I do have a question. There is a wonderful post from June 25, 2012, featuring Serkin playing the 1st Beethoven concerto, acompanied by Waxman. (And what is the name of the festival orchestra?) Unlike the other file links, this link is “only” the player itself, and I would love to download this recording. Could you replace the player button with the usual file link?

Let me add that I am a great fan of Waxman’s conducting (first encountered in the form of his wonderful score to the 1946 film “Humoresque”), of which there are not many documents.

Thank you again for the fantastic broadcast recordings, esp. the historic treasures!
    Best regards,
    Michael

• gordonskene says:

Hi Michael:

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. I will re-run the Waxman/Serkin concert, because it was part of an earlier blog and the sound quality wasn’t as good (I was using a different player at the time) and there were several technical issues associated with that player. The Los Angeles Festival Orchestra was, as far as I know, made up of players from the L.A. Philharmonic and some of the various studio orchestras put together for that festival, which was at UCLA in the early 1960s. Probably, most likely on the same order as the “Columbia Symphony” was an assemblage of L.A. Phil. players and Studio players put together for the Bruno Walter recordings done in Los Angeles. I will also be resuming the BSO Rehearsal programs, as last week was pre-empted by the Oscars and I wanted to run the Garson Kanin piece. We’ll be back on schedule this week. Promise. Thanks again for the kind words – as you probably know, it’s a bit like working in a vacuum here – my archive is very eclectic and I wonder if that appeals to people at all. But comments from people like yourself are a huge reminder I may be doing something right. Thanks again – Gordon

• Michael says:

Well Gordon,

I am sure there are plenty of appreciative followers – many don’t bother to comment, which is a shame. In any case, I’m greatly look ing forward to more from your vaults… Esp. those rehearsals of the BSO! Not knowing the extent of your collection, I’m not sure whether it is appropriate to make requests. Live concert recordings by great conductors are what I am very interested in. I’ve noted the focus on French, Spanish and some Swiss broadcasts, along with American treasures (BSO, Philly, Hollywood Bowl etc., all delightful!) Do you happen to have any German or Austrian broadcasts, as well?

Thanks for re-posting the Serkin/Waxman, when you get around to it. I am esp. happy that Serkin plays the “long” cadenza in the opening movement – hardly ever heard these days, more’s the pity.

Keep up the great work.
        Best,
        Michael

• gordonskene says:

I run on pure hunches – sometimes they work, sometimes not. I’ve been running some of the Salzburg Festival concerts from 1959-1960 during the Mid-Week Concerts over the past two months (I’ve been trying to slip in historic concerts there as well) and will be running more in the coming weeks/months. Sometimes I’m conflicted between running historic materials and running new artists. Frankly, there’s a lot of great new talent out there. I have to strike a balance – it’s all a work in progress here. Requests are always welcome and you’ve given me some good ideas. Best, Gordon

• Michael says:

Sounds like there’s lots more goodies in store, then. Excellent. Best, Michael

• gordonskene says:

Yes, there are. That’s why I’m doing Past Daily. No point keeping things under lock and key in dark places when a lot of people could enjoy them.

2. Michael says: