Artur Rodzinski And The L.A. Philharmonic Play Music Of George Antheil – 1950 – Past Daily Weekend Gramophone

George Antheil - Bad Boy of Music - and in the 1920s, that was saying a lot.
George Antheil – Bad Boy of Music – and in the 1920s, that was saying a lot.

. . . or click on the link here for Audio Player – George Antheil: Symphony Number 5 – L.A. Phil. Artur Rodzinski – July 25, 1950 – Gordon Skene Sound Collection

The early years of the 20th century had more than its fair share of movers, shakers and hellraisers. Classical Music was certainly not immune to the sweeping changes taking place in the area of composition and style. The very well publicized riots that took place after Stravinsky‘s Rite Of Spring were only one of several seeming outrages thrust upon the audience.

Another figure, though lesser known today than he was at the time, was George Antheil. An American composer who went to Paris and gave the world Ballet Mechanique and another storm of riots, protests and colorful condemnation.

Although not as revolutionary in the long run as Stravinsky, Antheil did manage to make a name for himself and become a fixture in the avant-garde music world, all the way up to his death in 1959. In addition to his musical endeavors, which included a number of stage works, chamber pieces, operas and other symphonies, he wrote several film scores during a stint in Hollywood – Antheil was also a writer, journalist and inventor. In recent years his music and writings have been the subject of everything from rediscovery to documentaries. So an Antheil revival has been underway.

This weekend it’s a portion of a concert that features, if not the first, then one of the first public performances of George Anteil’s Symphony Number 5, written between 1947 and 1958. Played here in a 1950 concert from The Hollywood Bowl by the Los Angeles Philharmonic, conducted by the legendary Artur Rodzinski and recorded on July 25, 1950 for a broadcast which may or may not have been aired.

In any event, it’s a rarity and a piece of music that begs to be played in concert more often.

And while you’re listening, please consider chipping in whatever you are able, to help Past Daily and the Archive all this material comes from past a financial crisis we’re going through. We have only 4 days to raise enough money to prevent eviction from our Archive space. At the moment we’re 60% of the way to our goal, but we need the other 40% and we don’t have much time to do it in. Please click on the link below and make your tax-deductible pledge and contribution in whatever amount you’re comfortable with, and tell your friends – we need you all. Make your pledge today, before it’s too late.

Liked it? Take a second to support Past Daily on Patreon!
Become a patron at Patreon!
Articles: 9879

One comment

  1. Strange how Antheil was regarded as so “dangerous” at the time — “the bad boy of music” — and yet today seems so pleasingly mainstream . . . not by any means bland, but just as part of a continuum that led out of 19th-century music.

    Fingers crossed the fundraiser succeeds! I’ve pledged my mite: wish it could be more.

Comments are closed.