Duke Ellington And His Famous Orchestra – Live In Zurich – 1959 – Past Daily Downbeat

The inimitable Duke himself.

The inimitable Duke himself.

. . . or click on the link here for Audio Player – Duke Ellington – In Concert from Zurich – September 10, 1959 – DRS-Radio Zurich

Over to Switzerland this week for a classic concert by Duke Ellington and his Famous Orchestra, featuring Ray Nancy, Russell Procope, Johnny Hodges, Harry Carney, Paul Gonsalves, with vocals by Lil Greenwood. It was recorded at the Kongresshaus in Zurich by Swiss radio on September 10, 1959.

Perfect Sunday afternoon music with one of the greatest Jazz congregations in the world.

There certainly isn’t anything you can say about the genius of Duke Ellington that hasn’t been written about or spoken of over the years, so I won’t even try to add anything.

Time to let the music speak for itself.

Enjoy.

And while you’re doing that – I have to remind you that we’re 4 days away from ending our Emergency Fundraiser and it’s been dead-slow today. Well . . .it IS Sunday after all, and you have a lot more to do than hang out in front of your computer. But should you be getting in the mood for some classic Duke Ellington, please consider chipping in a few bucks to help us through this financial crisis we’re currently in. We’re coming up on 60% of our goal and we have 4 days to raise the other 40%. Can we do it? If you help out, we can. Chip in whatever amount you’re comfortable with, and it’s all Tax-Deductible – so you get to write off a good cause and I get to save my archive. Sounds fair. But you have to do it now, or before the fundraiser is over. We need to hear from you. And if you can’t contribute, please tell your friends. We need all of you and I can’t tell you how much I appreciate all of you who have contributed so far. So please, click on the link below and make your voice count. Do it before it’s too late.

Liked it? Take a second to support gordonskene on Patreon!

You may also like...