Crossing t' and dotting i's.
Crossing t’ and dotting i’s.

News for August 26, 1945 – NBC Radio/WEAF, New York – Gordon Skene Sound Collection

News for this day in 1945 had much to do with preparations for the official surrender of Japan and the Allied occupation, getting ready to take place within days.

Because of a threatened Typhoon, expected to hit Tokyo bay, the 3rd Fleet assembled just outside Sagami Bay, some 30 miles from Tokyo. As a fleet of Japanese minesweepers combed the waters of the bay, the fleet were poised to enter at the all-clear. Two emissaries from the Japanese Navy arrived at 3rd Fleet headquarters to receive their instructions for the fleet arrival in the Bay, sometime later on in the day or the following morning.

First expected to arrive were Task Force 31, which was to make sure the Japanese dismantled guns and shore batteries around Yokosuka and around Tokyo Bay to ensure the orderly, safe entry of American troops. The first ship expected to enter the bay was the USS San Diego.

Meanwhile, Russia and China released the details their 30 year friendship treaty, and the document was expected to settle peaceful disputes between the Chinese Communists and Chiang Kai Shek. The treaty stipulated Russian aid to China would be given solely through the Chungking government, to the exclusion of Communist forces. Both military supplies and moral support were expected to be given to the Chiang government by the Russians. Russia agreed to withdraw from Manchuria after three months from Japan’s formal surrender, which would restore the territory to China. In exchange, Russia promised to take a hands-off policy toward China’s internal affairs, and the two countries agreed to make joint use of Port Arthur as a Naval base, as well as joint operations of railroads in Manchuria. The far-reaching agreement virtually ended any threat to China from the Japanese mainland. The treaty was hailed as a success and Chinese Communist leader Mao Tse Tung agreed to come to Chungking to discuss peace terms and national problems with Chiang.

In other news, General MacArthur instructed the Japanese to surrender Hong Kong to the British, ending speculation as to whether the Japanese would surrender to British forces or Chinese forces and who would take over possession of the Crown Colony. Japanese peace emissaries arrived in Rangoon to begin talks with Admiral Louis Mountbatten’s staff with the surrender of some 200,000 Japanese troops in Southeast Asia. The negotiations were expected to conclude with the final signing taking place within the following day on Singapore. British paratroopers were busy carrying out aid missions to some 60,000 allied POW’s formerly held by the Japanese in Burma, Indochina and Thailand.

Stateside – a hurricane off the coast of Texas was making landfall around Corpus Christi, with the hardest hit being the Naval Air Training station there, but heavy damage was reported all along the coast with winds upwards of 100 mph reported in Corpus Christi. The eye of the storm hadn’t hit land, as of this broadcast, but was still some 30 miles east of Corpus Christi.

General Charles De Gaulle arrived in New York and was the honored guest at a reception that evening. Earlier in the day he went to Hyde Park to pay tribute to the late President Roosevelt and was expected to visit the newly opened Idyllwild Airport and a special reception in the Mayors office the following day before flying to Chicago.

Mayor La Guardia announced Meatless Tuesday and Friday would continue in force until the meat situation changed. But he assured everyone the restrictions on serving meat would be lifted as soon as supplies came back to normal, which he said would be within a few weeks. La Guardia announced that City Waste Paper collections would be discontinued this week, while tin-can collections would continue, but end very soon.

All that and a lot more, including Sports and Weather, for this August 26th in 1945.

Liked it? Take a second to support gordonskene on Patreon!