President Nixon - Pneumonia 1974

President Nixon - leaving Bethesda Naval Hospital - Timing was uncanny.

July 13, 1973 – President Nixon: And Now, Pneumonia.

Nixon - Pneumonia 1974
President Nixon – leaving Bethesda Naval Hospital – Timing was uncanny.

July 13, 1973 – NBC Nightly News – Gordon Skene Sound Collection –

July 13, 1973 – On a day already filled with Watergate news, word from the White House was that President Nixon was now suffering from Pneumonia and was heading off to Bethesda Naval Hospital for treatment. Doctors were reported to have said Nixon was running a fever between 101 and 102 and that signs of his illness were apparent during a meeting with Henry Kissinger and West German Foreign Minister Walter Scheel. After admitting the President, updated reports said his condition did not get worse, nor was it getting better; it was staying pretty much the same. Visitors were confined to Mrs. Nixon, daughter Julie and son-in-law David Eisenhower and security was tightened around the five-room Presidential Suite at the Hospital. He was expected to stay at the Hospital for at least a week. It marked the first time President Nixon was ill since entering the White House and the first time that he was hospitalized.

But there was other news – Back on Capitol Hill – the Watergate hearings were continuing. White House official Richard Moore was being the subject of more sharp questions this day. Moore continued to maintain the position that the President knew nothing of key White House people involved in the coverup until March 21. And he insisted, despite Senator Sam Irvin’s best efforts, that Nixon knew nothing prior to that time. It was clear that many on the committee were no more satisfied with Moore’s answers to questions than they were the day before. He was slated to return for another session after the weekend.

The New York Times reported that H.R. Haldeman told the Watergate Committee staff that he had no part in planning the burglary, and didn’t know there was a coverup until March of this year (1973).

It was felt that many of these questions regarding Watergate would be answered if the committee were able to get its hands on White House documents. But President Nixon said he had no intention of giving them up, but Sen. Irvin said there will be no backing down in its effort to get the documents. He said he was ready to vote to issue a subpoena, and he claimed support of the entire committee. He said the documents were necessary in order to determine the truth.

And on and on it went, as reported this July 13, 1973 by NBC Nightly News.

Liked it? Take a second to support Past Daily on Patreon!
%d bloggers like this: