Sir Georg Solti And The Chicago Symphony Open The 1977-1978 Season – Past Daily Mid-Week Concert
Click on the link here for Audio Player – Chicago Symphony – Opening of 1977-1978 Season – Sir Georg Solti, conductor – Part 1
Click on the link here for Audio Player – Chicago Symphony – Opening of 1977-1978 Season – Sir Georg Solti, conductor – Part 2
Another classic concert from the Past Daily Vaults. This week it’s the opening concert of the 1977-1978 season of the Chicago Symphony conducted by the legendary Sir Georg Solti.
No soloists and a pretty straight-forward program. But still, it’s Solti and with him it was always exciting.
So here’s what’s on the players:
1. Rossini – Barber of Seville Overture
2. Shostakovich – Symphony Number 1
2. Richard Strauss: Don Juan
Since it’s not an overseas concert, all the announcements are in English and given by the venerable Norman Pellegrini.
Not sure how much of an Anti-Road Rage Wednesday concert this winds up being, but it makes for good listening just the same.
- Chicago remembers Solti (intermezzo.typepad.com)
- Chicago Symphony is World-famous and Thriving (local.answers.com)
- Wagner Week: A Dozen Definitive Wagner Interpreters (wqxr.org)